Have you thought about what you can give homeless people instead of money? Some people discuss reasons for not giving money to people who ask for it on the street – that’s not what this article is about. If you prefer to help in other ways, then Alhamdulillah, here are some ideas of what else you can give.
- Socks; warm, durable ones
- Gloves, like these ski gloves
- Waterproof packaway jackets and trousers
- Sleeping bags
Food… don’t forget to include a spork
Although long life and ready-to-eat food wont be high in nutritional value, we should still make an effort to consider what the calorie, fat and protein content is – it could make up some of the only food a person is able to eat for a day or two.
- Pot noodles
- Peanut butter/chocolate spread
- French toast
- Biscuits or crackers
- Oat cakes
- Fruit and nut mixes
- Teabags, and instant coffee sachets
- and although not a food, you could include chewing gum
- Roll on
- Wipes; baby wipes, face wipes, toilet wipes
- Sanitary items for women
- GIFT CARDS, this enables people to still buy some of what they need when you are hesitant to giving money, for whatever reason, and you can order a range of them online. Costa and Sports Direct are a good shout. You can get exclusive Wilko ones in store, too.
Almost 5000 people are estimated to be sleeping rough every night in the UK according to Homelessness UK. Your town or city, or wherever you are is likely to have a shelter or charity that helps people who are experiencing homelessness. If you want to help, call them and find out the best ways to do so. Even if you aren’t able to volunteer your time, you may be able to help fund or stock the kitchen, or distribute packs of the items listed above through the service.
May Allah reward you for your efforts to help those in need.